The City of Sault Ste. Marie is accepting applications for open EMPLOYED POLICE RECRUIT positions.
Applicants must be non-MCOLES licensed and who are looking to join the Sault Ste. Marie Police Department. The City of Sault Ste. Marie will pay for an employed police recruit’s academy enrollment costs and pay the recruit $15.00 per hour during the academy for all hours worked. This is a part-time position with no benefits. Upon successful completion of the academy, the recruit will be hired as a full-time patrol officer and begin the field training process.
Applications are being accepted immediately, considered as they are received, and will continue to be considered until positions are filled. Preference may be made in the hiring process for candidates attending the Lake Superior State University MCOLES Regional Police Academy or Ferris State University MCOLES Law Enforcement Academy.
The Sault Ste. Marie Police Department is a full-service law enforcement agency located in Michigan’s beautiful and highly recreational, eastern Upper Peninsula. The department is comprised of 24 sworn personnel serving a population of over 13,000 within 20.16 square miles.
Within the department, there are numerous current and upcoming opportunities and specialty assignments: paid on-duty workout time; private gym available on or off-duty, narcotics task force (TRIDENT), multiple detective positions, snowmobile patrol, school resource officer, sniper team, evidence technician, accident investigation & reconstruction, field training officer, various instructor/trainer opportunities (firearms, defensive tactics, etc.), honor guard, and drone team.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS:
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must be a citizen of the United States.
- Must have a valid Michigan driver’s license.
- Must have earned a high school diploma or attained a passing score on the GED test indicating a high school graduation level. Current associate’s or bachelor’s degree in Criminal Justice or a related field or, having obtained either of these at the completion of a police academy, is preferred.
- No prior felony convictions (including expunged or set asides) and be free of any other Prohibited Criminal Adjudications of Guilt as defined by MCOLES. Licensing Standards for Michigan Law Enforcement Officers
- Must be able to obtain admission into a MCOLES sanctioned police academy.
- Must meet all MCOLES police officer licensing standards, except for Training & Licensing Examination requirements, prior to starting a police academy. Must maintain the standards while attending the police academy. Licensing Standards for Michigan Law Enforcement Officers
- Must meet all City of Sault Ste. Marie hiring standards for the position of Patrol Officer, except for the MCOLES licensing requirement, prior to starting a police academy. Must maintain the standards while attending the police academy.
- Must sign an agreement committing to four years of full-time employment after academy graduation, as authorized under PA 43 & 44 of 2023.
Required documents to be submitted along with the completed employment application:
- Cover Letter
- Copy of Birth Certificate
- Copy of High School Diploma
- Copy of Valid Driver’s License
- MCOLES number, if applicable
- Copy of Social Security Card
Hiring process (in progressive order):
- Submission of employment application, cover letter, resume, copy of birth certificate, copy of high school and college diplomas & transcripts, copy of driver’s License, and copy of social security card
- Panel Interview
- Sign Employed Police Recruit Agreement
- Background Investigation
- Conditional Offer of Employment
- Pre-Employment Testing:
- Psychological Evaluation
- Physical Exam
- Vision and Hearing Exam
- Drug Screen
- Acceptance into Police Academy
- Attend Police Academy as an Employed Police Recruit [part-time employee, $15.00 per hour, no benefits]
- Graduation from Police Academy
- Appointment to full-time Patrol Officer position, Oath of Office, & MCOLES licensing
- Entrance into Field Training Officer (FTO) Program
Please submit required documents to:
Email: rtroyer [at] saultcity.com
Mail: City of Sault Ste. Marie
Robin R. Troyer, Deputy City Manager
225 East Portage Avenue
Sault Ste. Marie, MI 49783
Questions can be directed to Robin Troyer at rtroyer [at] saultcity.com or 906-632-5717.
This search is conducted by an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). Credentials accepted until the position is filled.