The Historic Locks Park Walkway is an ongoing community effort, started in 1982, to link the numerous historic features of the Sault Ste. Marie waterfront. The reconstruction and interpretation underway at various points along the Walkway help tell the story behind over 350 years of the Sault’s heritage.

The Walkway is built around four “stations”:

  • The Locks Overlook Station - highlighting the history around the locks and the west end of the walkway

  • The Plank Alley Station - site of the original business district and the strap railroad

  • The Fort Brady Station - the site of both French and American forts

  • The Johnston Homestead Station - the site of historic homes and the Valley Camp Museum Ship at the east end of the walkway.

Some of the significant sites along the walkway include:

  • Former US Weather Bureau Building

  • Former Federal Building (Future City Hall)

    • Japanese Torii

    • Fort Brady Site

    • The Soo Locks

    • Fort Repentigny Site

    • Soo Locks Information Center

    • Johnston House

    • The Ojibway Hotel (old Sawmill site)

    • Schoolcraft House

    • The Soo Locks Fountain

    • Bishop Baraga House

    • The Plank Alley Display

    • Former Kemp Coal Dock Office Building/

    • 1905 Locks Dedication Obelisk

    • Kemp Industrial Museum

    • Elijah Allen House

    • Site of Old Strap Railroad

    • Native American Burial Ground/Cultural Site

    • SS Valley Camp Museum Ship

    • Brady Park

    • Tower of History

    • US Coast Guard Base

Hours: M - F 9:00AM - 5:00PM
225 East Portage Ave, Sault Ste Marie, MI 49783

Phone: 906-632-5715
Fax: 906-635-5606

© 2023 City of Sault Ste Marie