Fire Station / Ambulance Services
The Sault Ste. Marie Fire Department originated in 1884 and have been housed in the same building
since 1907 when it was built for $12,384. After 2 fires hit the Sault in 1886 and 1896 the Central Fire
Station was built on Ridge Street in 1907. That same building is still used as the Fire Station to this
day. The only addition to the building came in 1978 when an addition was put on the west side of
Around the 1920s is when the department started changing from the horse-drawn equipment to
motorized equipment and instead of having volunteer firefighters they had full-time paid firemen.
In 1932, the City Commission authorized the department to sell the last of their fire horse.
In the first decades of the 20th century there were two other stations. Station No. 2 in Algonquin,
and Station No. 3 at the corner of Ashmun Street and Tenth Avenue. In 1915, the Algonquin
Station had eight volunteers (who were paid for each fire they fought), a one-horse hose wagon,
and 500 feet of 2.5-inch hose. Station No. 3 had ten volunteers and one “hand hose reel.”
There were 36 fire-alarm boxes spread throughout the city, each linked to Central Station. Starting
2007, the Sault Ste. Marie Fire Department only operates out of Centra Fire Station located on
For Fire House Information and Ambulance Billing please contact:
Erica Gordon: Secretary (906) 632-5715 or Email
Fax (906) 635-6969
Scott E. LaBonte, Chief (906) 632-2226 or Email
Non-Emergency (906) 632-2226
Firefighter Right to Know
Burn Permits issued by the City of Sault Ste. Marie Fire Department are available on line. Burn Permit Link
The permits are no longer available for pickup at the Fire Hall.
The Fire Department is always happy to give a tour and educate on fire safety. To schedule a tour of our
historic facility call (906) 632-2226 option 3.
Click on Sparky to visit his fun learning page